The “Skinny” on SMELLY Water
Let’s face it … Odors can be embarrassing! Especially when they are prevalent in your home, and even more so if you don’t know where they’re coming from! If you find that your water is the source of the smell, our guess is … you probably aren’t drinking it, and for good reason!
The last thing we want to smell, is our water. Water is supposed to be color-less and odor-less, so why do some just accept a rotten-egg or sulfur type smell as normal? it’s what people use to bathe, cook, drink and clean! Thank goodness there is a solution! A certified water consultant or technician is what you need. Why? Because when it comes to understanding water, one must understand things at a molecular level. In essence, your water consultant or technician is your friendly neighborhood chemist! He/she is able to understand the inorganic/organic compounds causing the root of your water issues, and knows the reactions that needed to offset it.
In a lot of cases, the causation of water odors are difficult to determine; the good news is, laboratory testing is not a necessity in discovering your specific needs! A qualified water filtration technician can! Not only can a technician ascertain the cause, he can help you decide on the best action to take to resolve the problem! Water has to travel quite a long way to get from the aquifer to our faucets and can pick up many elements along the way. Let’s take a look at the more common odors that people experience.
- Rotten Eggs or Sulfurous Odor:
- CAUSE: Microorganisms that use the sulfur in decaying plants, rocks and soil as their food, produce hydrogen sulfide in their waste.
- SOLUTION (Depending on specific household needs and variables):
- Carbon Tank – Filters and traps odors
- Iron Breaker – Naturally Oxidizes odors
- Chlorine Injection System – Neutralizes odors
Medicinal or Chemical Odor:
- CAUSE: Free Chlorine – mostly found in public water sources as chlorine is used to treat bacteria – it is the concentration of residual chlorine in water and can present as dissolved gas (Cl2), hypochlorous acid (HOCl), and/or hypochlorite ion (OCl-).
- SOLUTION (Depending on specific household needs and variables): Filtration, Filtration, Filtration – Ask your water consultant what filter and/or system would be right for your needs.
- Musty or Moldy Odor:
- CAUSE: Decaying organic matter collecting over time in the drain or possible pollution of the well itself from surface drainage.
- SOLUTION (Depending on specific household needs and variables): Service the filtration system, the pressure tank and the well annually. Never hesitate to reach out to a qualified Water Specialist at the first sign of issue.
Call us today so we may eliminate any embarrassing odors in your home!
The bottom line: Nobody should have to live with smelly water!!!